Matthews Asia Dividend Fund
Matthews Asia Funds
- Investment involves risk. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. It is possible to lose the principal capital of your investment.
- The Fund invests primarily in Asia Pacific countries and economies. Investment in such emerging markets may be subject to increased risks such as political, tax, economic, policy, market, liquidity, trading, custody, settlement, currency, legal and regulatory risks.
- The Fund may, at its discretion, pay dividends out of the capital or effectively out of capital in respect of the distribution shares. Payment of dividends out of capital and/or effectively out of capital amounts to a return or withdrawal of part of an investor's original investment, or from any capital gains attributable to that original investment. Any distribution may result in an immediate reduction of the net asset value per share of the Fund.
- The Fund invests primarily in equity securities, which may result in increased volatility.
- The Fund may invest in smaller companies which are likely to carry higher risks than larger companies.
- The Fund may invest in financial derivative instruments (“FDIs”). Risk associated with FDIs include counterparty/credit risk, liquidity risk, valuation risk, volatility risk and over-the-counter transaction risk. The Fund will not use FDIs extensively for investment purposes.
- The Fund may use hedging techniques to attempt to offset certain market risks but there is no guarantee that hedging techniques will fully and effectively achieve their desired result.
- Investors should not invest in the Fund solely based on the information in this website. Please read the Hong Kong Offering Document carefully for further details including risk factors before investing.
Yu Zhang, CFA
Yu Zhang is a Portfolio Manager at Matthews Asia. He manages the firm's Asia Dividend and Asia ex Japan Dividend Strategies, and co-manages the China Dividend Strategy. Prior to joining Matthews Asia in 2007 as a Research Associate, Yu was an Analyst researching Japanese companies at Aperta Asset Management from 2005 to 2007. Before receiving a graduate degree in the U.S., he was an Associate in the Ningbo, China office of Mitsui & Co., a Japanese general trading firm. Yu received a B.A. in English Language from the Beijing Foreign Studies University, an MBA from Suffolk University and an M.S. in Finance from Boston College. He is fluent in Mandarin.
Robert J. Horrocks, PhD
Robert Horrocks is Chief Investment Officer and Portfolio Manager at Matthews Asia and has been a Matthews Asia Funds Trustee since 2018. He manages the firm's Asian Growth and Income Strategy and co-manages the Asia Dividend and Asia ex Japan Dividend Strategies. As Chief Investment Officer, Robert oversees the firm's investment process and investment professionals and sets the research agenda for the investment team. Before joining Matthews Asia in 2008, Robert was Head of Research at Mirae Asset Management in Hong Kong. From 2003 to 2006, Robert served as Chief Investment Officer for Everbright Pramerica in China, establishing its quantitative investment process. He started his career as a Research Analyst with WI Carr Securities in Hong Kong before moving on to spend eight years working in several different Asian jurisdictions for Schroders, including stints as Country General Manager in Taiwan, Deputy Chief Investment Officer in Korea and Designated Chief Investment Officer in Shanghai. Robert earned his PhD in Chinese Economic History from Leeds University in the United Kingdom, and is fluent in Mandarin.
Vivek Tanneeru is a Portfolio Manager at Matthews Asia and manages the firm’s Asia ESG Strategy, and co-manages the Asia Dividend Strategy. Prior to joining Matthews Asia in 2011, Vivek was an Investment Manager on the Global Emerging Markets team of Pictet Asset Management in London. While at Pictet, he also worked on the firm’s Global Equities team, managing Japan and Asia ex-Japan markets. Before earning his MBA from the London Business School in 2006, Vivek was a Business Systems Officer at The World Bank and served as a Consultant at Arthur Andersen Business Consulting and Citicorp Infotech Industries. He interned at
Generation Investment Management while studying for his MBA. Vivek received his Master’s in Finance from the Birla Institute of Technology & Science in India. He is fluent in Hindi and Telugu.
Sherwood Zhang, CFA
Sherwood Zhang is a Portfolio Manager at Matthews Asia. He manages the firm's China Dividend Strategy and co-manages the Asia Dividend and Asia ex Japan Dividend Strategies. Prior to joining Matthews Asia in 2011, Sherwood was an analyst at Passport Capital from 2007 to 2010, where he focused on such industries as property and basic materials in China as well as consumer-related sectors. Before earning his MBA in 2007, Sherwood served as a Senior Treasury Officer for Hang Seng Bank in Shanghai and Hong Kong, and worked as a Foreign Exchange Trader at Shanghai Pudong Development Bank in Shanghai. He received his MBA from the University of Maryland and his Bachelor of Economics in Finance from Shanghai University. Sherwood is fluent in Mandarin and speaks conversational Cantonese.