Matthews Asia Clarification of Ownership
Please see the following statement.
There have been a number of factually incorrect articles that have been recently published in media reports and online commentary that pertain to the ownership of our firm. Please see the following information that provides true and correct information with respect to current ownership matters of our firm and aims to address the previously reported false statements and misrepresentations that have been made. Matthews International Capital Management, LLC (dba. Matthews Asia) was founded by Paul Matthews in 1991.
- For over 31 years, the firm has been investing in Asia and has been a strong advocate and supporter of the region’s capital markets.
- China continues to be strategically important for our firm, clients and portfolios.
- In addition to investing in China’s capital markets, our firm has an office in Shanghai. They are supported by our broader investment team who routinely visit the country to conduct research for our investment portfolios.
- Matthews Asia is a private company. Current ownership is predominantly comprised of Paul Matthews, Mark Headley, Lovell Minnick Partners LLC, Mizuho Financial Group Inc., Royal Bank of Canada and employees of the firm.
- William Hambrecht is currently neither a shareholder nor owner in Matthews International Capital Management, LLC, or its related entities and has no direct business relationship with respect to the management and/or day to day operations of Matthews International Capital Management, LLC.
- Paul and Nancy Pelosi are neither owners nor shareholders of Matthews International Capital Management, LLC, or its related entities and have no direct business relationship with respect to the management and/or day to day operations of Matthews International Capital Management, LLC.
Matthews Asia has a strong and well-respected brand globally as an Asia investment specialist. We take the recent misreporting and false statements about our firm very seriously and are working with media outlets to take prompt corrective action.
For any requests for additional information, please contact the following:
+86 21 5298 0136